Friday, May 21, 2010

ADHD

Well, after seeing a wonderful counselor and Dr. Jones who is an excellent ADHD in young children specialist, we have learned that Miss Abbey, our 6-year old, officially has ADHD. We are not saddened or troubled by this news. Now, we have something to go by, something to research and learn more about so that we can be better parents and help her be the most successful she can be. After talking to the specialist for almost 2 -hours (he was fantastic by the way) we are ready to gird our loins and move forward in faith. Kevin just started his own blog dealingwithadhdchildren.blogspot.com, please feel free to link this on your blogs and share with others. We would love to have many people comment and share ideas and thoughts to help us as we learn and grow during this time. Thanks!

5 comments:

Maria said...

I bet it is kind of a relief to have something to go by, and a reason for whatever behavior problems that sent you out looking for explanations in the first place. I had a roommate with hardcore ADHD, but with all the coping skills she'd picked up through her childhood, she did fabulously in college, and is now a rockin' mama and just started her masters in nursing at BYU. ADHD is definitely not an insurmountable diagnosis. Good luck! And I'm so glad you found a great specialist to work with-it makes all the difference if the support people in your journey are actually supportive. :)

Chelle said...

Wowie-I'm gonna have to have some good chats with you about this. Cuz, Lucas is just like Abners, and I'm thinking (even though I don't know much about ADHD) that he's got something going on as well. We love that Abner's of ours, okay she's yours but you know what I mean! Keep us posted. Hopefully this is going to be helpful knowing maybe some better ways to help Abbey! I sure need lots of help with Lucas, that's for sure!

melissa said...

Amanda! I can't believe you've been married 7 years and have 3 kids! Are we really that old?? Wow! You look amazing too, by the way. And your girls are so cute and girlie. I love it!
Ok, sorry that was so random, but I was shocked to get a comment from you on my blog and excited to check yours out.
I'm sure your daughter's adhd will be a challenge for you and your husband, but I agree with the comment above. It sounds like you guys have some great support. Also, your Calli is the exact same age as my cute little nephew, Gibson. Tax baby! They should get married ;) haha!

Happy Harrison said...

Hey,
I just checked my gmail account and I'm so glad you've started this blog. It will be fun to keep in touch this way. Let's do playgroup again some time soon.
Our blog is www.cowboyandcitygirl.blogspot.com

Heather said...

We miss your family so much! You and Kevin are AWESOME parents, we can't wait to try out all the tips we learned from you when we lived in Utah. A few of my speech kids have had ADHD and they have all been really successful. Abbey's blessed to have such great parents. It's refreshing to hear your positive attitude!